Gordon Ramsay is ‘expecting to make a substantial loss’ (Picture: Getty)
Gordon Ramsay is ‘expecting to make a substantial loss’ as a result of coronavirus.
The celebrity chef was forced to lay off 500 staff members from his restaurant empire due to lockdown, with his eateries temporarily closing.
During an appearance on the Frank Warren Heavyweight Podcast, the 53-year-old admitted it’s a ‘very hard’ time for the industry.
‘There will be substantial losses next year, there’s no two ways about that,’ he told the host.
But, despite the hardships, the dad-of-five is ‘optimistic’ about the future and looking forward to opening the doors of his restaurants around the world once more.
Coronavirus latest news and updates
- Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live
- Read all new and breaking stories on our Covid-19 news page
- The latest coronavirus symptoms explained
- Who needs to go to work, who needs to stay at home and who is classed as a key worker?
‘Running a business is very hard and the margins now not just in the produce and the labour costs and running costs are pretty tiny, so there’s no margin for error,’ he said.
Gordon insisted he is going to come back even stronger (Picture: Getty)
‘We are going to open up, we are going to [come] back strong and treat this as a new opening and something better than we were doing before we closed.’
As well as the restaurant industry, Gordon also voiced his fears for young people during the pandemic.
‘Having three daughters and two sons, the mental health aspect of being confined to barracks and having this cabin fever, being that locked in for this length of time, we have to be very careful of the long-term effects in terms of knocking the confidence out of youngsters today,’ he added.
The Hell’s Kitchen star briefly shut down a string of his restaurants due to the global health scare last month.
Despite facing intense backlash over the move, he heaped praise on all his staff following the news, urging them to ‘stay safe’.
‘To all our Gordon Ramsay family, friends and colleagues,’ he shared on Instagram. ‘In this time of great uncertainty, we hope that you all are looking out for each other and staying as safe as possible.
‘As the situation changes daily our focus has to be on the health and safety of our employees, guests and community and to do our part in slowing the spread of the virus, from Saturday 21 March 2020, all our restaurants will temporarily close.
Madonna going to 'breathe Covid air' as she discovers she has 'antibodies'
Gordon Ramsay expecting 'substantial losses' due to coronavirus
EastEnders spoilers: Isaac shocked as he discovers Patrick is his father
‘Whilst we don’t know when we will re-open, what we do know is by supporting each other through this terribly challenging time, we will come through this stronger than ever!
‘Huge love and thanks to our amazing staff across the restaurants for all their passion and support,’ he concluded.
’I truly hope we are all back together very soon.’
Frank Warren’s Heavyweight Podcast with Gordon Ramsay is available on Acast.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.