Eddie Howe says there is a ‘high chance’ Sandro Tonali will play against Wolves on Saturday despite 10-month ban
Sandro Tonali has been banned for 10 months.
Eddie Howe says there is a ‘high chance’ Sandro Tonali will feature for Newcastle United against Wolves on Saturday despite his 10-month ban.
It was confirmed on Thursday that Tonali has been banned from football for 10 months over breaches of betting regulations in Italy.
That has ruled him out of the remainder of the current season as well as the early weeks of the 2024-25 campaign and Euro 2024 for Italy.
Newcastle splashed out £55m to sign the 23-year-old midfielder from AC Milan this summer and are said to be assessing all their legal options in a bid to learn if they are entitled to financial compensation.
Tonali admitted to placing several bets on football matches, including Milan games, during a meeting with Italian authorities last week.
His ban was announced by the president of the Italian football federation (FIGC), Gabriele Gravina, who said that Tonali will be suspended for 10 months and will undergo a rehab programme for an additional eight months.
Newcastle boss Howe, though, has insisted the Premier League club have not yet received ‘official confirmation’ of Tonali’s ban and that he is available to face Wolves on Saturday.
‘It’s difficult because we haven’t had that official confirmation as a football club yet,’ Howe said on Friday.
‘We’ve heard the news and speculation, but we haven’t had anything from the Italian authorities at the moment so we’re in limbo really waiting for that official confirmation to come through.
‘I think there’s a high chance he could be available for us [against Wolves]. There has to be a few things that have to happen before the ban is imposed so lets see.’
More to follow…
For more stories like this, check our sport page.