Fernando Alonso makes F1 title prediction after Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari move

'The car should be fast enough.'

Fernando Alonso makes F1 title prediction after Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari move
Fernando Alonso of Aston Martin Aramco and Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes after the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada.
Alonso thinks Hamilton’s move could be a difference-maker for Ferrari (Picture: Getty)

Fernando Alonso has claimed that Lewis Hamilton’s move to Ferrari could be a difference-maker for the Italian team as they look to end their long-running silverware drought.

Hamilton shocked the motorsport world earlier in the month when he confirmed he would depart Mercedes at the year’s end to complete a switch to Ferrari ahead of the 2025 season.

The seven-time World Champion only signed a two-year extension last year but said he would fulfil a ‘childhood dream’ by racing for the Italian side.

Ferrari last won a Constructors’ Championship in 2008 and a Drivers’ Championship in 2007 but Alonso, who drove for the Italian team between 2010 and 2014, believes the Brit could be the missing piece of the puzzle.

‘Ferrari had a very fast car and were fighting for big things,’ the Spaniard said. ‘Maybe Lewis can bring that extra to fight for the championship. The car is there.

‘Even last year, with a very dominant Red Bull car, Ferrari were able to match the lap time and be faster than them in most of the qualifying, so the car should be fast enough.’

Alonso took six podiums in the first eight races of last season with Aston Martin but struggled in the latter half of the season as the Silverstone-based team struggled to keep up with the improvements from other teams around them.

The 42-year-old ultimately finished fourth for the season but heads into the new season with an air of uncertainty given that his contract with Aston Martin runs out at the end of the season.

Fernando Alonso of Spain driving the Aston Martin AMR23 celebrates on podium during the F1 Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 05, 2023.
The Spaniard recorded eight podium finishes last season (Picture: Getty)

The two-time F1 champion claimed he could still race until he was 50 but refuted any suggestions that McLaren had made contact with him about replacing Hamilton’s seat on the grid.

‘I am aware of my situation, which is unique,’ Alonso said when asked about his future.

‘There are only three world champions on the grid, and fast world champions, because in the past maybe there were some champions who were maybe not so committed to be fast. And I am probably the only one available for 2025. So I am in a good position.

‘But at the same time, when I make the decision whether I want to keep racing in the future, the first and only talk I will have in the beginning will be with Aston Martin. That will be my only priority.

‘But if we cannot reach an agreement and I want to commit to race in F1, I know I have a privileged position, I am probably attractive to other teams, the performance they saw last year, the commitment.’

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.