Pro-Palestine march in London taking place today as Met Police ban protesters from Cenotaph – latest news
The home secretary referred to the protests as 'mobs'.
The pro-Palestine march in London is going ahead today, with the route set to avoid the Cenotaph as Armistice Day remembrance services are also taking place in the city.
Over 500,000 people are expected to attend the ‘historic’ march in London this November 11, calling for an immediate ceasefire in the Israel-Gaza conflict that erupted last month.
The Met Police have drafted in 1,000 extra officers to form a ‘ring of steel’ around the event.
‘We are convinced it will be the biggest demonstration so far over Palestine,’ one of the group’s organisers told reporters.
Suella Braverman has also brought attention to the event, after her Times article led to a number of political figures from all major parties calling for her to resign.
The home secretary has been accused of being a ‘nasty and vindictive person’ who ‘needs to go’ by SNP MP Stephen Flynn following her attempts to ban a pro-Palestine march taking place this weekend.
Justice Committee chairman Tory Sir Bob Neill said on LBC her position was ‘untenable’, while Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has also distanced himself from her comments.