Russia ‘planned to crash space rocket crammed with explosives onto Kyiv’
Secret conversations reveal details about the plan.
Secret conversations reveal details about the plan were put to Russia’s president earlier this year.
It is understood the attack would involve a civilian-use Soyuz-type carrier rocket and tinkering with it so it does not reach orbit – but instead crashes into a city in Ukraine.
Baranov – head of the state Progress Space Rocket Centre – told Rogozin that the 164ft rocket can be steered ‘in any direction, simply in any direction we want’ by rotating during an eight to 22 second period after launch.
As the person in charge of making launch vehicles for manned and unmanned missions to the International Space Station, he pointed out a major problem to Rogozin on the recording.
’It is a supersonic re-entry into the atmosphere, and the existing heavy FAB-500 aerial bombs don’t work, they’re starting to overheat TNT is destroyed in them, and so performance drops critically,’ he said during the leaked call.
’Our guided bombs are not designed for this either, and they have no protection against overheating.’
In other words, this aerial bomb could explode as it reenters the atmosphere after launch wreaking widespread havoc.
Rogozin then consults Yuri Solomonov, general designer for ground-based missile systems at the Moscow State Institute of Thermal Engineering, and former head of development for the Topol-M ballistic missile.
The conspirators also feared that parts of the bomb could fall on Russian territory, but resolve to overcome all problems.
According to the leaked recordings, the impatient Rogozin demanded: ‘How big are the crash areas? Where do we have risks?’
After addressing technical problems, they move on to preparation times. In this regard, Baranov claims that ‘it could take six months’.
He assured the rest their scheme would work, saying: ‘The launch and the flight towards any target is not a problem at all.
’There would need to be some small modernisation… so we don’t need to go to orbit, but follow a clear trajectory.
’Another issue would be to sort the area of some of the debris. There will be no issue over the third stage [debris], as it’ll land wherever the rest would [hit].’
Putin is believed to have been informed about the plan on January 16 this year, but it is yet unknown what decision – if any – was made.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.