Tourist plunges to their death after 30ft-high glass walkway suddenly shatters
Safety concerns had been raised about the bridge in the past.
A tourist has died and three others are injured after a glass walkway shattered amid claims safety concerns were ignored about it.
It happened on the 30ft-high Geong bridge, Indonesia, at around 10am on Wednesday.
The 11 tourists were all from Cilacep, Central Java, and two fell through the glass and one was later declared dead.
Two others were thrown by the sudden collapse but managed to cling on as brave onlookers helped them off.
Another tourist struggled to climb back up as people rushed to help this person off too.
The camera then refocuses to show another tourist on the ground under the bridge.
Other tourists managed to escape while three others sustained minor injuries.
Police are investigating and have set up a crime scene over claims the attraction’s management overlooked complaints about the bridge’s safety.
Ekop Purnomo, chairman of the Limpakuwus Pine Forest Cooperative where the bridge is located is said to have contacted The Geong’s manager in April when the bridge opened, seeking a safety evaluation.
He approached the manager after receiving complaints on social media, raising concerns about how safe the bridge would be.
Mr Purnomo claimed 5% of visitors shared complaints online.
The manager of the bridge chose not to attend the meeting to review standards, instead sending a representative, according to Mr Purnomo.
‘There was no discussion. We only left a message,’ he said.
Purnomo agreed to close the forest – which is managed separately from the bridge – at the request of local police while the investigation continues.
Banyumas City Police chief Suranta Sitepu confirmed the casualties on Wednesday.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.