The hidden mould hotspots in your home — and how to get rid of them
Look behind your furniture.
A whopping 85% of brits have encountered mould in their home, which could cause serious health issues.
And as the weather gets colder, there’s only so much a dehumidifier can do to beat the pesky black stuff.
Mould tends to thrive in damp spaces, so it’s no surprise that our bathrooms are also the biggest breeding ground for bacteria, with nearly half of British bathrooms plagued.
Behind furniture might be somewhere you want to check diligently too, just to make sure you’re in the clear.
Research also showed that more than one in five Brits sleep with dangerous mould in their bedroom each night, while 15% have it in their kitchen.
Mouldy windows (14%) and ceilings (10%) are another two problem areas for Brits but the real kicker is that of the 2,000 Brits surveyed one in 10 had no idea mould could cause health issues.
Currently, about 8% of the UK have mould-related health problems, such as wheezing, allergies and respiratory issues.
This increases to one in five (18%) millennials, or ‘Generation Rent’.
Pharmacist Nyrah Saleem previously told Metro.co.uk: ‘Mould exposure can irritate your ears, eyes, nose and throat leading to symptoms such as a dry mouth, sneezing or a sore throat.
‘Patients with conditions such as eczema or asthma may be more prone to irritation.’
Toxic mould or black mould is ‘stachybotrys chartarum’ — it can cause a huge range of health issues for humans and even pets, with children at a greater risk.
And it was found nearly 20% of the UK currently have toxic black mould in their home.
Milder symptoms of black mould, according to the NHS, can include headaches, skin rashes and respiratory damage, while long-term exposure to mould can cause chronic illness.
With repeated exposure, you inhale toxic trichothecenes, which can lead to the development of chronic inflammatory response syndrome.
So, if you’ve found mould in your home, how do you deal with it?
How to get rid of mould in your home
Experts at Homebase suggest you treat any damp issues first, as that’s a driving factor for mould growth. It’s why our homes are the most mouldy from October to April.
When getting ready to remove the mould you need to wear protective gear like rubber gloves and a face mask because mould spores can travel in the air when cleaning.
Then, wipe down walls and surfaces with a fungicidal wash, which can be left for 24 hours before thoroughly rinsing with clean water.
To further help those worried about mould, Jimmy Englesoz, Product Manager at Ronseal and all-round DIY pro, says innovative anti-mould paint can make a huge difference.
He said: ‘Fundamentally, these paint products make the surface of your walls inconducive for mould to live on, whether it’s a chemical that prevents the mould directly or a formula that insulates the walls.
‘It’s a common mistake for people to use Anti-Mould Paint and then paint over with a colourful paint. Anti-Mould paint needs to be your topcoat with the biocide protecting the surface of your walls to work correctly.
‘If you paint over it, you’re painting over the protective barrier and giving mould a surface it can live on. Also, try to avoid condensation building up for 24 hours while the paint sets.
‘If you’re painting in a bathroom and then shower straight after, allowing moisture into the room will impact the finish and therefore the effectiveness of the biocide as a result.’
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected].